3/5/10

Lent and Day 5

So, I was thinking of Lent and Fish Friday. I dutifully ate my tuna at lunch today but I always feel bad for other people having to smell it. As I was preparing to come home a teammate suggested a few ideas for blocks but of course, I have to pick my own - sometimes that doesn't work so well for me!

I thought my squares needed something less pictorial so I decided to just make designs like seaweed instead of the fish I really wanted to do for Fish Friday.

Now though, I don't really like it - so I am allowing myself to consider ripping it out, or at least alter it. Maybe this is the place to put a big button!

Beyond that, I am ready to reveal my second project. After the first day of 1 inch squares I thought I might need to make a bigger sampler...see below...

The first or maybe the second day, I noticed that some people were doing theme squares which I liked. So I decided to start a second square project that has Nature as a theme and blocks that are a gigantic 1 1/2". I also gave myself permission to make blocks for this project as time allows instead of like the other one where I am committed to daily squares. Here is my work so far...


When I was a kid, I planted, tended, harvested, boiled, salted, and baked sunflowers and their seeds. We lived in this old Victorian and we would lay the boiled seeds out on cookie trays on the screened sun porches - good memories.


Pinecones - the ultimate Grama Eda memory - she paid us 5 whole cents for every grocery bag we filled with pinecones from her trees. Pinecones are an amazing fete of nature, have you ever looked at one of them closely, they are amazing and the way they protect their seeds - incredible.


Finally, the theme - this is the first square (actually 3 squares) I did - it runs sideways. It looks like it is not a rectangle - but that is just my picture.

4 comments:

  1. Your sunflower is beautiful and made more special by the wonderful story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your 1" blocks. You have lots of fun going on there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to give the girls a penny a pinecone to clean them off the yard. I should have heard the Grama Eda story before I made my offer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks Kathy and tinkerverve - I am loving this project it has reenergized my creativity
    A PENNY A PINECONE - I could have been a MILLIONAiRE at those wages

    ReplyDelete