3/31/10

Day 29 on Day 31

I got a little behind here - this is Day 29 - the initials of my last name. I have one of those pesky hyphenated last names - my parent's name and then my husband's.
It felt very modern in the 80s when I did it but sometimes it is a major hassle - like getting a passport - at school I go by my husband's surname only - it would be mean to make 3rd graders write both.
I kept my parent's name because I didn't get my artistic ability from my husband and so that felt important.
As I am writing this I am thinking what about my own name? hmmm It is interesting that we stilll hold on to the men's names - other countries don't do that????!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Very pretty! I too kepy my parents name "Kramer" then added my husbands name "Leggett". My dad passed away early in my life and its a part of him I didn't want to let go of... I don't use Kramer though, it's just there on my drivers license and making a mess out of my medical files, hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your stitching is beautiful.
    I did something very unusual. I took my husband's last name out of pressure to be "normal". I could not get used to the new last name. After 2 years, I legally switched back to my maiden name. It has now been over 3 years since I changed my name back and I am very happy with the decision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'd still be in a quandry dear sister - in Mexico, the kids have a choice of whose name to keep/leave off....for example, my friend Memo & His wife have different last names of their choosing....and when their kids marry off, they can take mom's, dad's or both with them and include the new spouse as well...or not. It's all a personal decision....imagine that kind of pressure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your stitching is so perfectly beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete