3/21/10

Day 18 - 21 and some nature

Thanks for stopping by I so appreciate you leaving me comments.
Day 18 took me aback - I had trouble deciding what to do because that particular square was the center of all my squares and so it seemed so important to do something good.
I finally decided on a mandala with peace at its center. At the heart of all I do is my search for peace, tranquility and happiness.

Day 19 was a wonderful day at school. We had read a story called "Fly, Eagle, Fly!" about an eagle who is raised as a chicken and a man who helps the eagle remember he is a glorious eagle. We had a little extra time on Friday and so I presented a project where we made eagles on a stick that we 'flew'. The kids loved it! We don't get much time in these days of No Child Left Behind to do fun, artistic projects so this was truly a treat. One student was flying around the room with his singing "I believe I Can Fly" and the message of the story was not lost on any of them.
I sometimes forget I am not teaching math, or science, or reading, or pacing guides, but instead I am teaching 8 and 9 year old children and their spirits. When the bell rang they laughed out the door, flying their eagles home. So to remember this special experience, an eagle's wing.

















Day 20 - ah SPRING - time to grow - grow your garden, grow your person - it's time
And then today, Day 21 - and God said we should rest. I have been tired for weeks. Dragging myself awake and dropping into bed at night tired. Tired. A couple hours after getting up today, I went back to bed and rested more...much better.

And now a bit of catch-up on my nature blocks - this is day 18. One of the great miracles of nature is the night sky and then thinking that all that is up there in the daylight too. Do you remember when you first learned that? I remember being just amazed - still there - how can that be?
My oldest sister lives about 15 miles past nowhere - seriously and if you are out there on the ridge you can walk around the bend up the hill away from her house and the hill will block out her porch light..and there, you can see every star there is to see. It is an amazing site - I think I better make a plan to see it this summer.

















And finally, a fix for my ugly bumble bee - he still isn't perfect but I like him much better.
His wings better suit him.

8 comments:

  1. What a perfect block for your centre...truly beautiful. I really love the story of your eagles wing too :) Happy stitching xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ros, your creativity amazes me. Your blocks are beautiful, the stories behind them captivating. You should write a children's book when you are done and use the blocks as inspiration for the illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the peace sign! I wish I had thought of that for my "p" square. And that bumble bee is amazing! Completely adorable! Can't wait to see what you do next!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ~may your days always be filled with peace and tranquility as you so wish...beautiful...i l♥ve the deep blue of the night sky block...i too am quite fascinated by your creativity and detail...brightest blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blocks. We'd love to have you come visit the stars this summer. We no longer have the outside light, so you can just sit on the porch.
    Love
    Your Big Sister

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your work. Lots of detail.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love and appreciate your comments about teaching children and their spirits - their spirits are too often left by the wayside in a hectic race to meet standards. i'm so glad you see beyond the horizon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just remembered I hadn't looked at your blog in a few days! So exciting to see what is going on in Ros World. I try to tell you this a lot, even though I hope you really know it - those kids are so lucky to have you! They will never forget the day they became part of the Eagle clan. All the squares are great. I think you really captured the essence of the AB for sure. Ok, so now I really must talk about me... I had another idea for how to do my 39 (55) squares. I could make a wee quilt of 1" squares and pick out a fabric every day. Or, I could take little photos and post one a day - I just took a look at the Nomadic Ewings and got this inspiration. Happy almost 60 degree Seattle day!

    ReplyDelete