4/7/10

Nature Squares

A few more stitched squares for my nature sampler:
The first one is a salmon - this green and salmon variety (coho) swims up the Cedar River in my town. If you go down to the library (which is built over the river) in the late fall you can watch them make their way upstream - I could watch them for hours (except it is too cold and usually raining). They are lovely and it is bittersweet to think they are swimming upstream to lay their eggs right where they were born only to die. Salmon are amazing - they go from sea water to fresh water - simply amazing!!

My next block is wheat. My grandfather and uncle ran a wheat farm in Genesse, Idaho. You haven't lived until you have laid in a truck of freshly
cut wheat - comforting and I can still taste the crunch of having a few grains. Unlike my siblings, I only drove truck for my uncle once. Dropped the clutch. I am not known for my great coordination ability :)

Finally, eggs - another amazing fete of nature.



2 comments:

  1. That is so beautiful. I am starting pretty soon at big project. It is a cross stitch blanket! It will take me awhile, but I am eager to give it a go. Your nature squares are just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! I am making a salmon block too! (cuz it's my favorite food.. I had some for dinner tonight.) But mine doesn't look nearly as good as yours!

    ReplyDelete